[linux-audio-user] VST Plugins Revisited (Again)

davidrclark at earthlink.net davidrclark at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 7 02:42:33 EDT 2005

Lee Revell posted:

Wrong, obviously, the future of Linux music production is using native
Linux audio applications under Linux.

----------------------

Assuming that Linux music production actually has a future, one would
hope that this would be the case.  Meanwhile:

As a demonstration of what can be done right now, here's something I did today
entirely with entry-level *Windows software running under WINE*, no plugins
involved (so I guess it's slightly off-topic), and *not* including CompMuzys:

http://home.earthlink.net/~davidrclark/linux_audio_users/slow_rock.ogg

Composition/edit -> MIDI edit and arrange -> Mix -> one-button record ->
WAV file.  (Then Linux oggenc for publishing.)  External synth.  About
90 minutes total.

I believe that this is a realistic scenario for a music production person
in a hurry at a TV station, for example --- beyond the work process involved
with merely recording a guitar for a minute or two, but not CD production.

Who knows what else those WINE guys might make happen?

Note: I did *not* use my Green's-function 3-D audio programs on this, so the
reverb doesn't sound like my normal stuff with headphones, in case anyone
notices.

Regards to all,
Dave.