[linux-audio-user] Again on sudden and occasional Jack crackling sound

Salvatore Di Pietro salvuz_78 at virgilio.it
Mon Aug 8 18:25:45 EDT 2005

Lee Revell wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-08-08 at 15:12 -0400, Michal Seta wrote:
>
>>So, I too, would very much appreciate any pointers towards solution.
>>
>>Up until now I was running a 2.6.10 multimedia kernel (demudi) and
>>just upgraded the kernel to the 2.6.12-3-multimedia in hope that this
>>would somehow, magically, solve my problem.  No luck.
>

> Sorry, this seems like quite a tricky problem.  At first we thought it
> was due to bugs in certain ALSA drivers, but now it looke more like a
> bug in jackd (most likely) or the ALSA core.
>
> I don't know how you would do it, but can this be reproduced without
> JACK?
>
> Lee

Everything seems to work fairly well with ALSA only.
The only way I can reproduce an identical crackle, and aside of the
re-setting of jackd buffer size (but that makes apps die as of jack
0.100.0), a way to try to restore a crackling jackd is to use the
"pound" script I posted before:

#!/bin/bash
# Pound on broken TV set
sudo jack_simple_client POUND! &
sudo kill -STOP `ps -el|grep simple|awk '{print $4}'`
sleep 0.2
sudo kill -CONT `ps -el|grep simple|awk '{print $4}'`
sleep 0.1
sudo kill -9 `ps -el|grep simple|awk '{print $4}'`

But this produces all sort of noises while operating (while kill
-STOPping jack_simple_client) and sometimes makes jackd die...

ciao
--
           salvuz
      POST FATA RESVRGO