[linux-audio-user] VST Plugins Revisited (Again)

davidrclark at earthlink.net davidrclark at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 14 15:10:18 EDT 2005

Tim,

You recently posted:

> WINE is very useful for crossover environments and the work that has been
> done in this area is awesome, but IMO a potential distraction.

Certainly WINE is not optimized for audio --- no question about that.

Speaking of distractions. Let's admit it: Linux audio is chock full of
distractions, including such things as: Why isn't this compiling?  Why
is my system locking up requiring a cold reboot?  How bad is the resulting
file damage from using MuSE and jackd together with a 3-D ATI driver which
necessitated a cold reboot?  Why can't I hear anything?  What was the name
of that damn program again?  How did I connect that up the last time?

Linux Audio has a *lot* of distractions.  Some might even say it's nothing
but distractions, but I have found GNU/Linux to be an excellent research
platform not only for audio, but also for other fields.

Regards,
Dave.