[linux-audio-user] VST Plugins Revisited (Again)

R Parker rtp405 at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 14 16:51:23 EDT 2005

--- davidrclark at earthlink.net wrote:

> Tim,
>
> You recently posted:
>
> > WINE is very useful for crossover environments and
> the work that has been
> > done in this area is awesome, but IMO a potential
> distraction.
>
> Certainly WINE is not optimized for audio --- no
> question about that.
>
> Speaking of distractions. Let's admit it: Linux
> audio is chock full of
> distractions, including such things as: Why isn't
> this compiling?

That question is unique to Linux. At least from a
practicle perspective.

  Why
> is my system locking up requiring a cold reboot?

Or why does Linux only require one cold reboot for
every 10 or 20 of Mac OS 9?

> How bad is the resulting
> file damage from using MuSE and jackd together with
> a 3-D ATI driver which
> necessitated a cold reboot?

The resulting damage would probably be equivalent to
that experienced using Mac of Windows. You think?

  Why can't I hear
> anything?

It's naive to imply that this question isn't asked
with equal frequency by Mac and Windows users.

  What was the name
> of that damn program again?  How did I connect that
> up the last time?

No different for Windows and Mac users. Well, there's
JACK which presents us with session management
problems as a result of giving us port routing
capabilities that are really a requirement. I imagine
someone will make that stuff friendlier soon enough.

> Linux Audio has a *lot* of distractions.  Some might
> even say it's nothing
> but distractions,

Well, by stating it you are implying that it is your
opinion. My experience is different. I find Linux
audio production to have fewer distractions than Mac
OS 9.

 but I have found GNU/Linux to be
> an excellent research
> platform not only for audio, but also for other
> fields.

I find Linux to be an excellent platform for
professional audio production and began using it to
make my living in 2001. During the last two or three
years I've used nothing but Linux for audio
production. Audio production is the bulk of my work. I
don't do much MIDI sequencing or softsynth work.

The state of usability for Ardour and JACK today is
significantly beyound what I experienced using Digital
Perform and Logic on Mac OS 9.

Linux is far beyound a research platform. If it's not,
I owe the landlord alot of money.

ron