[linux-audio-user] Re: Gnome Wave Cleaner

Erik Steffl steffl at bigfoot.com
Mon Aug 15 20:11:00 EDT 2005

Mike Jewell wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-08-15 at 07:13 -0700, Erik Steffl wrote:
>
>>David Cournapeau wrote:

>>>An advice I would add: do not install libraries from source code by
>>>yourself (ie without your package manager knowing it), because it will
>>>cause many problems later, if you do not know exactly what you are
>>>doing.
>>>
>>>If you really want to try some new versions from source, you should
>>>use something like checkinstall, which builds a rpm or a .deb from
>>>your sources.
>>>
>>>http://asic-linux.com.mx/~izto/checkinstall/
>>>
>>>The big advantage of this method is that your package manager knows
>>>about what you installed, and where, thus making the uninstall part a
>>>non problem.
>>
>>   the other option is to install into /opt/package-version (using
>>./configure --prefix=/opt/package-version), possibly using stow to
>>create links in /usr/local, in that case the instwallation is completely
>>independent from your packaging system, you can have multiple versions
>>installed and control which one is used by either stow or using env
>>variables etc.
>

> I like this idea of containing it in it's own little world so you can
> have different versions installed for testing, etc.  But why would you
> want links in /usr/local?  Wouldn't the --prefix set it all up to run
> from the /opt dir?
>
> And what is stow?  I don't seem to have that on my CCRMA FC3 distro.

   well, imagine you have number of programs installed this way, to
access them in easy way you'd have to make sure that they are all in
your path, that the shared libs are found by linker, the include files
by c/c++ compilers etc.

   here's where you'd use stow - each well behave package has directory
structure like the unix root (with bin, etc, lib and other directories),
stow creates links so that the whole package is in /usr/local/bin, example:

/opt/something-1.0/bin/program
/opt/something-1.0/bin/anotherProgram
/opt/something-1.0/lib/libsome.so
/opt/something-1.0/doc/something/README.txt

stow will create following links:

/usr/local/bin/program -> /opt/something-1.0/bin/program
/usr/local/bin/anotherProgram -> /opt/something-1.0/bin/anotherProgram
/usr/local/lib/libsome.so -> /opt/something-1.0/lib/libsome.so
/usr/local/doc/something/README.txt ->
/opt/something-1.0/doc/something/README.txt

   that way you can just add /use/local/bin to you path (and other libs
as well), you kinda have the extra stuff inciorporated into your system
but at same time you know exactly which file is from which package, you
can use stow to remove the packages etc. So if you want to upgrade to
something 1.1 you just install it into /opt/something-1.1 and use stow
to remove something-1.0 links and create something-1.1 links

   I usually don't bother but e.g. I was working at a place where I
didn't have access to root, I wasn't able to install packages so I
installed some software into ~/opt and used stow to create links in
~/local, set up my path and linker search path etc. and it worked very well

   e.g. now (at work) I only have few non-essential extra packages (like
mplayer, bashish, x11vnc) so I don't even use stow...

	erik