[linux-audio-user] Re: Gnome Wave Cleaner

Tracey Hytry shakti at bayarea.net
Tue Aug 16 00:05:38 EDT 2005

I use FC3 with the planet ccrma on top of it.  I try to keep the machine as clean as I can(good way to test the Fernando's newest builds).  But when I see the newest/greatest program anounced I have a hard time not wanting to check it out and build it on the machine.

A while back I started using my own little directory structure to build within;  both to see if a program will build within the planet environment, and to check out a new program to see if I like it.

The way I do it is to let the normal linux file permissions keep the new builds from installing over the main system by doing the the configure-make-make install as a regular user.

I just make a directory under my home directory(or other user if I'm really nervous about the program I'm about to check out),  and do everything there.  This is the setup I've been using, which seems to work for quite a few programs:

I make a directory called /home/tracey/newbuilds/ where I uncompress and untar the program I need to build and check out.  I also have /home/tracey/newbuilds/usr/ there with the subdirectories bin, lib, local, share, and man off of that.

I then just pop into the directory where the new program is untared to and do:

./configure --help

to see if there are any program other switches I may want to use

and then do

./configure --prefix=/home/tracey/newbuilds/usr

make

make install

Most of the time the program can be run using the long path name:

/home/tracey/newbuilds/usr/bin/newprogram

and the man pages can be read by using

man -M /home/tracey/newbuilds/usr/man/newprogram