[linux-audio-user] usb controller keyboards

Rob lau at kudla.org
Tue Aug 16 12:54:49 EDT 2005

On Tuesday 16 August 2005 12:37, Lee Revell wrote:
> I suspect no one even asked M-Audio for permission to redistribute
> the firmware as part of an open source driver.

Not that including the firmware in an open source driver would be
enough to get the driver included in any Linux distribution that I
know of.  Even "Linmodems" are only supported out of the box by
distributions like Linspire and modems are rather less of a niche
item than USB MIDI controllers.

Again, the path of least resistance is to buy a board that supports
standards like USB-MIDI, making life easier for you and giving some
small measure of support to manufacturers who support standards, and
I think that's more practical than trying to jump through hoops with
firmware and Windows installers.

Rob