[linux-audio-user] UM2 USB midi interface is the guilty ?

Dubphil dubphil at free.fr
Tue Aug 16 21:53:41 EDT 2005

Hi,

This thread is a legitimate continuation of the thread "midi and
ecasound", that I was the initiator in this list.

after few days having struggled with my midi the setup, and with the help
of Pedro and Kai, I'm comming to believe that there is a bad thing around
the UM2 edirol midi interface and linux when attempting to access
/dev/midi* or /dev/snd/midi* with certain applications such as ecasound or
gmidimon or directly monitoring the devices with aseqdump.

things can be expose in two points :

1 - When I use the "midi in" of my PHASE 26 USB, things are working
properly when  the midi data are expected from this device (/dev/midi1).
But the second device connected via the UM2 is not detected by ecasound or
gmidimon (I have tried /dev/midi* and /dev/snd/midi*). Surprisingly,
aseqdump is detecting both devices.

2 - When both device are connected to the UM2 all the apps mentioned above
are not detecting in a reproducible way : sometimes it detect one or the
other, sometime none, sometimes all. It is the behaviour that I have
qualified of "erratic" (the way Pedro misandesrtood as he thought I was
speeking about the midi monitors output).

kick me out if I insist badly.

Regards

Philippe