[linux-audio-user] UM2 USB midi interface is the guilty ?

Clemens Ladisch clemens at ladisch.de
Wed Aug 17 10:45:54 EDT 2005

Dubphil wrote:
> 1 - When I use the "midi in" of my PHASE 26 USB, things are working
> properly when  the midi data are expected from this device (/dev/midi1).
> But the second device connected via the UM2 is not detected by ecasound or
> gmidimon (I have tried /dev/midi* and /dev/snd/midi*).

Neither ecasound nor gmidimon support MIDI with ALSA correctly.

As a workaround, load the snd-virmidi driver (which make another
/dev/midi* available) and connect its sequencer port to the UM2's
second port.

> Surprisingly, aseqdump is detecting both devices.

This one uses the ALSA API correctly.

> 2 - When both device are connected to the UM2 all the apps mentioned above
> are not detecting in a reproducible way : sometimes it detect one or the
> other, sometime none, sometimes all.

When an application tries to open the internal ALSA device node
(/dev/snd/midiCxDx), it will get the first free subdevice, i.e., the
first port that isn't already in use.

HTH
Clemens