[linux-audio-user] I just want to EQ the quiet parts

Mike Jewell mj405 at oneupaudio.com
Fri Aug 26 14:47:10 EDT 2005

Hi LAUs,

I'm pretty new to all this but have been using Audacity with plugins,
etc and have recently been experimenting with Ardour and Jamin.

What I want to do is EQ the "quiet" parts only of a wav file.  The file
is a tape recording of some source (probably LP) done on a cheap
recorder.  There is lots of rumble that is mostly noticeable (of course)
in the quieter spots on the track.  Playing with Jamin's 30 band EQ
shows that filtering out a band or two around 200 Hz helps a LOT but
this wrecks the bass in the louder "musical" sections.

Is there something like a noise gate that, instead of silencing
everything below a certain threshold, would apply a given EQ to it
instead?  With all the cool Linux Audio tools out there, it seems like
there must be some way to do this.  (Maybe Jamin can and I just don't
see it.)

Thanks,

Mike
Mike Jewell