[linux-audio-user] I just want to EQ the quiet parts

Jan Depner eviltwin69 at cableone.net
Fri Aug 26 12:21:36 EDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-08-26 at 13:47, Mike Jewell wrote:
> Hi LAUs,
>
> I'm pretty new to all this but have been using Audacity with plugins,
> etc and have recently been experimenting with Ardour and Jamin.
>
> What I want to do is EQ the "quiet" parts only of a wav file.  The file
> is a tape recording of some source (probably LP) done on a cheap
> recorder.  There is lots of rumble that is mostly noticeable (of course)
> in the quieter spots on the track.  Playing with Jamin's 30 band EQ
> shows that filtering out a band or two around 200 Hz helps a LOT but
> this wrecks the bass in the louder "musical" sections.

    You can use scenes in JAMin to do what you want.  Unfortunately that
means that you would have to switch scenes manually.  I don't know of
any "automatic" way to do what you want to do unless you can figure out
how to get Ardour to pass the OSC scene change commands to JAMin.  That
would still require that you decide where the scenes would be used in
the musical selection.  To set up the scenes just set the EQ the way you
want it then right click on one of the scene buttons and select "set".
Set one up with the notch and one without.  To switch between them
simply click on the scene button of choice.  You might be better off
using the parametric controls on the hand-drawn EQ instead of the 30
band EQ since you can set up a notch and slide it to get the proper
frequency to cut.  Another possibility it to try using Gnome Wave
Cleaner (GWC), sample some of the rumble in a silent section, and then
use that as the "noise sample" to be removed.  I haven't tried that with
rumble but it helps a bit with hiss/scratchiness.

--
Jan "Evil Twin" Depner
The Fuzzy Dice

"As we enjoy great advantages from the invention of others, we should be
glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this
we should do freely and generously."

Benjamin Franklin, on declining patents offered by the governor of
Pennsylvania for his "Pennsylvania Fireplace", c. 1744