[linux-audio-user] I just want to EQ the quiet parts

Mike Jewell mj405 at oneupaudio.com
Fri Aug 26 18:18:12 EDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-08-26 at 11:21 -0500, Jan Depner wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-08-26 at 13:47, Mike Jewell wrote:
> > Hi LAUs,
> >
> > I'm pretty new to all this but have been using Audacity with plugins,
> > etc and have recently been experimenting with Ardour and Jamin.
> >
> > What I want to do is EQ the "quiet" parts only of a wav file.  The file
> > is a tape recording of some source (probably LP) done on a cheap
> > recorder.  There is lots of rumble that is mostly noticeable (of course)
> > in the quieter spots on the track.  Playing with Jamin's 30 band EQ
> > shows that filtering out a band or two around 200 Hz helps a LOT but
> > this wrecks the bass in the louder "musical" sections.
> >

>     You can use scenes in JAMin to do what you want.  Unfortunately that
> means that you would have to switch scenes manually.  I don't know of
> any "automatic" way to do what you want to do unless you can figure out
> how to get Ardour to pass the OSC scene change commands to JAMin.  That
> would still require that you decide where the scenes would be used in
> the musical selection.  To set up the scenes just set the EQ the way you
> want it then right click on one of the scene buttons and select "set".
> Set one up with the notch and one without.  To switch between them
> simply click on the scene button of choice.  You might be better off
> using the parametric controls on the hand-drawn EQ instead of the 30
> band EQ since you can set up a notch and slide it to get the proper
> frequency to cut.

I'll try that.

> Another possibility it to try using Gnome Wave
> Cleaner (GWC), sample some of the rumble in a silent section, and then
> use that as the "noise sample" to be removed.  I haven't tried that with
> rumble but it helps a bit with hiss/scratchiness.

I did try that with gwc but didn't have much luck.  But I didn't have
time to play with all the different "settings".  I'm especially
interested in the "max and min frequencies to use in the noise sample"
setting.  There are lots of other ones and I haven't found any
documentation yet that explains most of them.  It seems like potentially
a REALLY useful tool though it's UI could use a little work (Un-do is
nice but Re-do is almost as necessary.)