[linux-audio-user] libsndfile - ogg, mp3

Dave Phillips dlphillips at woh.rr.com
Thu Dec 1 05:38:26 EST 2005

Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:

>Dave Phillips wrote:
>

>>Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
>>

>>>I've heard that Thompson has attempted to collect license fees from
>>>people distributing a software decoder.
>>>

>>I'd like verification on that story. My understanding is that
>>Frauenhofer has gone after only the encoders, not the decoders.
>>

>This does it for me:
>
>    http://www.mp3licensing.com/royalty/software.html
>
>Erik

Thanks, Erik, that does it for me too, at least in the letter terms of
the law. Whether Thomson or Frauenhofer actually pursue the decoders
isn't really the point. It's that they *can* if they so desire, putting
the decoder in a dependent and shaky position.

Nevertheless, I get the impression that importing MP3s into editors,
HDRs, and so on, is standard procedure for Windows users. Is that correct ?

Best,

dp