[linux-audio-user] libsndfile - ogg, mp3

Hans Fugal hans at fugal.net
Thu Dec 1 13:47:03 EST 2005

On Thu,  1 Dec 2005 at 19:00 +1100, Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
> Dave Phillips wrote:
>
> > Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
> >
> > >I've heard that Thompson has attempted to collect license fees from
> > >people distributing a software decoder.
> > >

> > I'd like verification on that story. My understanding is that
> > Frauenhofer has gone after only the encoders, not the decoders.
>
> This does it for me:
>
>     http://www.mp3licensing.com/royalty/software.html

I stand by Erik in not doing mp3. However all you who would like mp3
needn't stand idly by, the code is libre after all. Create an
independent patch and host/advertise it separately. Then you/the user
carry the burden and Erik and libsndfile proper remain free of patent
problems.

--
Hans Fugal ; http://hans.fugal.net

    -- Johann Sebastian Bach