[linux-audio-user] Re: The best distro for music creation

Josh Lawrence hardbop200 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 10:01:25 EST 2005

On 12/13/05, Rob <lau at kudla.org> wrote:
> On Tue December 13 2005 19:11, Loki Davison wrote:
> > opengl use? if you can create, i.e design and build, a card
> > with comparable (3D) performance to my nvidia pci-e 6600le
> > sli,  write open source drivers, for around 30 euro, i.e the
> > price i payed for my nvidia, i'd be very happy to buy one from
> > you, as would the rest of us. Otherwise i'll stick with my
> > nvidia.
>
> Lee wasn't suggesting you drop your use of nvidia.... he was
> suggesting that if you want proprietary video drivers, and
> you're dissatisfied with your machine's realtime performance,
> you're either going to have to lobby nvidia (or ati) to make
> their stuff work with realtime kernels, since they have access
> to their code and the kernel guys don't, or you're going to have
> to suck it up.
>
> I remember having to turn down my graphics acceleration settings
> to reduce xruns in my distant Windows past, so it's not like the
> situation is unique to free software.
>
> Rob

This discussion is very helpful to me, I was unaware that proprietary
drivers such as ATI's would cause such problems with a RT kernel.  It
was a video card that I had leftover from my Windows days, and since I
don't have any $ to buy a new one, I'll just have to keep it for
awhile.

By the way, what is the proper name for a kernel that has been
prepared for multimedia work?  Realtime kernel?  Low-latency kernel?

--
Josh Lawrence
http://www.hardbop200.com