[linux-audio-user] Re: The best distro for music creation

Lee Revell rlrevell at joe-job.com
Wed Dec 14 13:01:40 EST 2005

On Wed, 2005-12-14 at 09:01 -0600, Josh Lawrence wrote:
> This discussion is very helpful to me, I was unaware that proprietary
> drivers such as ATI's would cause such problems with a RT kernel.  It
> was a video card that I had leftover from my Windows days, and since I
> don't have any $ to buy a new one, I'll just have to keep it for
> awhile.

Well my point was that proprietary drivers are wrong, period, from both
a technical and ethical standpoint - it was not specific to the RT
kernel.  It's not about whether they are buggy or not.  When Linux users
buy hardware that requires propriertary drivers you are impeding the
progress of Linux and all free software.  It would be understandable if
there was no 3D hardware available with open drivers but that's not the
case.

Really this is all a depressing reminder that as far as Linux has come
over the years people are STILL buying hardware to run Windows on it.
They would rather have a 5% better framerate in some game than support
free software.  Is the highest purpose of Linux really just to run
proprietary games and VST plugins using Wine?  If so then I'm wasting my
time.

Lee