[linux-audio-user] Making Audio on Linux Just Work: (1) defining the goals

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Sat Dec 17 17:29:39 EST 2005

On 12/17/05, Lee Revell <rlrevell at joe-job.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-12-17 at 12:36 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
> > I don't know if it's implied somewhere in the comments above but I
> > think that, as a user coming from the Windows and recently Mac world
> > that making sure pretty much everything out there that gets linked on
> > a web page should be able to play from in the browser you are using.
> > There are some strange aspects about mplayer and web browsers, at
> > least on my systems, which can end up with multiple mp3's playing at
> > the same time. Stuff like starting an mp3/ogg/xxx file playing, and
> > then hitting the back button, should stop the audio, or if it doesn't,
> > hitting another audio link should stop the previous one from playing.
> >

> Because the Linux browsers are garbage.  For some reason the people who
> develop them worry about bullshit like extensions and toolbars and
> making sure the apps are translated into Xhosa than fixing basic
> usability bugs like this.
>
> Simple things don't even work, like, if I click a media link that opens
> an external player, then it finishes playing, then I click another link,
> rather than opening in the same player it launches a new one.
> Eventually I have 50 media players open.
>
> Lee

Yeah, that's what I see also, if the system even understands the link
in the first place.

The Firefox guys do not make it obvious for new users how you link a
specific media type to a specific player. Maybe mplayerplug-in does
that, and it does a better job than 1-2 years ago, but it seems that
there's a long way to go yet to have a new user sit down and have this
stuff 'just work'.

- Mark.