[linux-audio-user] Making Audio on Linux Just Work: (1) defining the goals

Ross Vandegrift ross at jose.lug.udel.edu
Sun Dec 18 18:28:25 EST 2005

On Sat, Dec 17, 2005 at 03:51:37PM -0500, Lee Revell wrote:
> Simple things don't even work, like, if I click a media link that opens
> an external player, then it finishes playing, then I click another link,
> rather than opening in the same player it launches a new one.
> Eventually I have 50 media players open.

It's not the job of the browser to keep accounting on external apps.
If it were, it'd be doomed to failure anyhow - that task can never be
accomplished.

Rather, it is up to the individual applications to do the right thing
if there is a session already open.

xmms has worked the way you seem to expect since its inception.

--
Ross Vandegrift
ross at lug.udel.edu

man in the bonds of Hell."