[linux-audio-user] OT: Music *not* made with gnu/Linux.

torbenh at gmx.de torbenh at gmx.de
Sun Dec 18 04:56:46 EST 2005

On Sat, Dec 17, 2005 at 12:16:37PM -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
> On 12/17/05, Nigel Henry <cave.dnb at tiscali.fr> wrote:
> > >
> > > No such problems with my favorite day to day player Aqualung. Check it
> > > out if you haven't already.
> > >
> > > http://aqualung.sourceforge.net/
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > > Mark
> >
> > Hi Mark. This is the second time that you've prompted me to try Aqualung. I
> > think you must have some vested interest in it (only joking). Thanks for the
> > link this time. I think I put it off last time, not wishing to Google and get
> > page after page of skindiving equipment or links to Jethro Tull. Anyway I
> > DL'd the tar.gz, then read the compile info. Darn! It needs gtk+2.0 , and FC2
> > only has gtk+-1.2.10-29.1.1. Same problem here as with Sineshaper and Om.
> > Back to FC2 I looked around in synaptic and saw the xmms mp3 plugin was
> > there, tried it and it worked. A bit strange, because the first time I tried
> > to install this it would not work. Perhaps libmad was missing at the time. So
> > I can play mp3's without frying the cpu with Mplayer, but it would obviously
> > be better if more up to date files like gtk+ 2.0 were available for Fedora.
> > Perhaps I'll try Aqualung on Debian, as there are Deb packages available for
> > it. Not sure which way to go getting it installed on Gentoo (your favorite).
>
> I run it on all my home Gentoo machines. (3 as of today.) I also run
> it on a Planet box running FC2, but that may be an older version. I
> could check that. I haven't had many problems with Gentoo. The only
> thing there has been using an occasional ~x86 library to make the
> Aqualung developers happy.
>

> > BTW. Hows it going with the VSTi's with Savihost and Wine? I've just DL'd
> > MrRay73, a Rhodes piano that I saw a link to on the list, and that works ok
> > with Savihost, but still terrible latency problems from the Evolution MK-225C
> > usb midi keyboard. A bit like playing a pipe organ. Press the key, and then
> > sit back and wait for the sound.

mr ray works perfectly with fst-1.7.
you wont distiguish it from a normal linux synth.

> As of late I'm pretty much out of the music area. We're in the middle
> of a bunch of house remodeling things - new windows, floors, redoing a
> laundry room and turning it into a computer game room. I haven't
> touched savihost in quite awhile unfortunately.
>
> It did have some latency issues, that's for sure. The main problem
> there (I think) is that the Wine Jack driver is pretty much kaput. It
> seems that no one wants to maintain it and it doesn't work with the
> new versions of Jack. Bummer! I tried to drum up some interest in
> supporting it on the Jack developers list but couldn't get a response.
> Disappointing as we're all Jack users and having great Jack support in
> Wine would be wonderful in so many ways. I'm sure it will happen some
> day...just not sure which one. ;-)

the correct solution would be to write an asio<->jack gateway.
but dont expect that to come from me.

> I have not tried the new xfst stuff as it wouldn't build on my AMD64
> machine and it seemed that no xfst developer had an AMD64 machine to
> debug the issues. Is that any different now?

sorry... i still seem to be the only "active" fst dev. and i only have
32bit here. which will not change as i am happy with my 2 athlonxp 2000+
machines. and with netjack (-> jack clustering) i have pretty much
headroom still.

--
torben Hohn
http://galan.sourceforge.net -- The graphical Audio language