[linux-audio-user] OT: Music *not* made with gnu/Linux.

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Sun Dec 18 08:11:01 EST 2005

On 12/18/05, torbenh at gmx.de <torbenh at gmx.de> wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 17, 2005 at 12:16:37PM -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
> > On 12/17/05, Nigel Henry <cave.dnb at tiscali.fr> wrote:
> > > BTW. Hows it going with the VSTi's with Savihost and Wine?
>

> > I have not tried the new xfst stuff as it wouldn't build on my AMD64
> > machine and it seemed that no xfst developer had an AMD64 machine to
> > debug the issues. Is that any different now?
>
> sorry... i still seem to be the only "active" fst dev. and i only have
> 32bit here. which will not change as i am happy with my 2 athlonxp 2000+
> machines. and with netjack (-> jack clustering) i have pretty much
> headroom still.

That's OK. I'm not likely to do much musically for the next few months.

I do have one interesting out though. To get full browsing
capabilities (Java & flash + mplayer, etc.) I run Firefox in a
completely chroot'ed 32-bit enviroment on my AMD64 machine. I haven't
considered doing serious audio this until now, but possibly I can run
two jack servers, one in the 64-bit area using the HDSP 9652, to run
Ardour, etc, and a second in the 32-bit area using either the onboard
NVidia chip or I could put a second card in if this worked and was
useful. I'd tie the two environments together with external spdif or
audio cables.

Would it work? Might be fun to try.

- Mark