[linux-audio-user] Looking for soundcard.

Cesare Marilungo cesare at poeticstudios.com
Sun Dec 18 09:57:03 EST 2005

John Anderson wrote:

>On Sun, 2005-12-18 at 13:34 +0100, Christoph Eckert wrote:
>

>>>I would like to know your advice about external soundcard (with ieee
>>>1394 port) recognize by linux.
>>>

>>ieee 1394 is not yet optimal supported on Linux, but see freebob.sf.net
>>for some details, including working devices.
>>

>>>My native soundcard is not full eqquiped in input/output port that
>>>why i'm searching for a soundcard with rca/xlr/jack connections.
>>>
>>>I'm running under debian sarge with a 2.6.14 kernel.
>>>

>>If you're not bound to the firewire port and you're interested in a
>>painless solution, I can recommend USB 1.1 devices (AFAIK there are no
>>USB 2.0 devices known to work under Linux).
>>

>So are there no longer latency issues with USB audio?
>
>bye
>John

I tried more than an USB 1.1 soundcard on different operating systems,
and I think you can't go beyond 5.6ms, setting -p64 -n4 in jackd (this
is what I use with my UA-25). But even that is less latency that I used
to get with my old PCI soundcard (EgoSys Waveterminal 24/96) on WinXP.
This was an expensive professional soundcard when I bought it six years ago.

It's just my experience, but with gnu/Linux, jack and the alsa-usb-audio
driver you get far lower latencies than when using other operating systems.

Ciao,

c.
www.cesaremarilungo.com