[linux-audio-user] qsynth not visible in noteedit (but visible in kmid, rosegarden)

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Mon Dec 19 08:11:27 EST 2005

On Monday 19 December 2005 06:07, I. I. Ooisen wrote:
> any idea why? any idea how i can fix this?
>
> and can somebody please tell me the difference between kmid and kmidi?
> debian packs them together.

Hi. Kmid needs to have a soundfont loaded onto your soundcard if your card is
capable of that, so as to produce sounds. In my case I have an Audigy2
soundblaster card, and can load soundfonts onto it, using the "sfxload
<path_to_soundfont>" command. You need the package "awesfx" installed to use
sfxload.

Kmidi uses timidity synth to produce sounds and does not need soundfonts
loaded onto your soundcard. Sadly it no longer works for me with KDE versions
later than that on Fedora Core 1. Maybe issues with the 2.6 kernel post FC1
are also responsible for Kmidi no longer working, but I've never received an
answer about that. I seem to recollect that it worked on my initial install
of Debian Woody 3.0r2, but when I upgraded to Sarge it was removed. A great
shame, as I always found Kmidi worked more reliably than Kmid.

All the best. Nigel.