[linux-audio-user] Making Audio on Linux Just Work: (1) defining the goals

Jeremiah Benham jjbenham at chicagoguitar.com
Tue Dec 20 17:40:00 EST 2005

On Tue, Dec 20, 2005 at 03:36:05PM -0500, Lee Revell wrote:

> I don't have a test case handy.  But, are you really asserting that
> multimedia web content "Just Works" on Linux like in OSX and Windows?

I have not used windows for 5 years so I don't know how good it is. I have tried osX recently and usually get very anoyed by its behavior. I don't know how iTunes works and I don't get the whole publishing
mp3 thing. I am jusy trying to figure out what is happening with your browser.

> For example last time I checked, YTMND
> (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=YTMND&btnG=Google+Search) sites
> don't even play on any Linux browser.  WTF?

I never heard of those sites so I checked it out. The first one I checked out worked great for me. It took a little time to load but it worked fine:
http://bodyslam.ytmnd.com/

The only time I have ever experienced anything like multiple mp3/audiofiles opening up at once is on the csound cd's. There is good content on the csound cd's but I really turned off by the fact that it
has links to files with mixed case and the actually case of the files don't match! It needs to be mounted with -o map=off. To bad it is not in standard xhtml like the w3c recommends. I think it is bad
design to expect everyone to want to sit and wait for a bunch of embedded quicktime to sit and buffer!

Jeremiah