[linux-audio-user] NOTEEDIT to use Lilypond as an external printer?

Georg Rudolph georg.rudolph at schwaben.de
Wed Dec 21 04:34:41 EST 2005

I. I. Ooisen wrote:
>i wonder, since noteedit depends on lilypond for printing, why don't the
>developers of noteedit just use lilypond as an external editor/printer
>so that any newbye would find it easy to print the score?
>
>of course, if it doesn't find lilypond, it can just say: "lilypond does
>not seem to be installed on this machine (or whatever)", and the newbye
>will simply try to install it (as i don't think it's sane to make
>lilypond a dependency of noteedit).
>
>until noteedit gets internal printing support, i am sure what i suggest
>is absolutely useful -- or please explain why not.
>
>(i very much wonder why the noteedit devs haven't already considered it.
>i guess it is trivial to implement.)
Please don't be teaching, please. Details can be tricky in a grown up
project like this!

As a surprise, this feature exactly is in the works, out in very few
weeks. And when you check in
http://svn.berlios.de/viewcvs/noteedit/trunk/ for example the file
ChangeLog, you see, there are people having fun with NoteEdit and
improving it in every direction. And we have there mailing lists, but to
get mentioned on lau is an honor :)

Lilypond is a beautiful post processor. Abc and Musixtex represent other
tastes and senses for design, so we try to support all of them, or none.

After reading your other thread above, a few thoughts: The installation
and proper setup of sound components is still a challenge. If you're a
newbe, Debian, Mandriva, Suse, are relatively save to go. You need a
lot: alsa with midi, tse3, a soft synth, a print processor, maybe
realtime-lsm to get glitch free playback, artsd be friendly, and so on.
I'm used to run NoteEdit with timidity on jack, (together with ardour
when also recording with the multiface) with realtime-lsm configured.
The setup is still tricky, needs more time to become standardized.
Thanks all who are working on this! What can be done already now is
impressive.

For me somehow Rosegarden never worked out of my Suse box, so this is
still on my list to try out and to compare against NoteEdit! Maybe I
didn't try hard enough, because Jörg and others wrote a program that I
just like and use now a lot. This seemed to have happend also the other
way around.

If you want to help out, there are ways in every level, maybe just to
communicate, maybe bug reports. About the maturity of NoteEdit I'm quite
conservative, as a personal stance, sometimes shy to advertise it to the
wrong people. People will compare NoteEdit with commercial notation
software, and the overall experience on an arbitrary linux box can still
be irritating. The gap will narrow, as I see for the new year :)

Continue to enjoy NotEdit,
Regards,
Georg