[linux-audio-user] CLI vs. GUI and other Linux sound issues

S. Massy smassy at sdf.lonestar.org
Wed Dec 21 14:15:38 EST 2005

On Wed, Dec 21, 2005 at 07:41:55PM +0100, Cesare Marilungo wrote:
> Please, don't get me wrong. But I actually fear the day in which
> gnu/Linux will have a wider success. Because I fear that this will
> happen only if gnu/Linux will abandon (or at least hide) its real
> strenghts and its real philosophy. Or worse it could finally become just
> another commercial o.s.
>
> For me gnu/Linux is the best operating system because it is free (as in
> free speech). The fact that open source software most of the times is
> better, in terms of power and versatility, than its commercial
> counterpart is a direct consequence of the whole open source philosophy
> and the people, the community behind it.
>
> I think that we don't have to demonstrate anything to anybody. We should
> just thank god that there are still some people who value freedom and
> the right of knowledge. If we're into OSS just because we think it's
> better, we've missed the point about why it is better.
>
> Just my two cents.
I just want to put in a word to strongly second that statement. I'm
tired of hearing this "world domination" talk, or even all the
anti-microsoft stuff, even though I certainly find them unsavoury, to
say the least. yes, it's important that Linux, and FOSS software as a
whole, do well in order to attract people and ensure that those basing
commercial ventures on it do well. But why bother about "world
domination"? is that not playing the Microsoft game in a way? And does
it not lead us to merely _mimic_ the big boys rather than innovate?

I see Open Source as building ourselves a communal house wherein we may
all live happily: NOT a chap hotel...
S.M.

smassy at sdf.lonestar.org