[linux-audio-user] CLI vs. GUI and other Linux sound issues

I. I. Ooisen ii001001 at yahoo.ca
Wed Dec 21 22:16:50 EST 2005

On Wednesday 21 December 2005 21:15, S. Massy wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 21, 2005 at 07:41:55PM +0100, Cesare Marilungo wrote:
> > Please, don't get me wrong. But I actually fear the day in which
> > gnu/Linux will have a wider success. Because I fear that this will
> > happen only if gnu/Linux will abandon (or at least hide) its real
> > strenghts and its real philosophy. Or worse it could finally become
> > just another commercial o.s.
> >
> > For me gnu/Linux is the best operating system because it is free
> > (as in free speech). The fact that open source software most of the
> > times is better, in terms of power and versatility, than its
> > commercial counterpart is a direct consequence of the whole open
> > source philosophy and the people, the community behind it.
> >
> > I think that we don't have to demonstrate anything to anybody. We
> > should just thank god that there are still some people who value
> > freedom and the right of knowledge. If we're into OSS just because
> > we think it's better, we've missed the point about why it is
> > better.
> >
> > Just my two cents.
>
> I just want to put in a word to strongly second that statement. I'm
> tired of hearing this "world domination" talk, or even all the
> anti-microsoft stuff,

and i am tired of going to school and listen to all the crap my teachers
say over and over again. so i can understand you. "repetition" is
tiresome... but always helpful.

> even though I certainly find them unsavoury, to
> say the least. yes, it's important that Linux, and FOSS software as a
> whole, do well in order to attract people and ensure that those
> basing commercial ventures on it do well. But why bother about "world
> domination"? is that not playing the Microsoft game in a way?

hehe,
some people think mirroring and analogy (as thinking tools) work
everywhere. you seem to be one of them.

well, bro, I WILL NEVER fear world domination of FREEDOM. in fact, when
i think of freedom, i always dream of "world domination".

one will NEVER EVER find any *sane* analogy between gnu/linux and
windows. trust me on that :)