[linux-audio-user] CLI vs. GUI and other Linux sound issues, was FOLKS, PAY ATTENTION TO NOTEEDIT

I. I. Ooisen ii001001 at yahoo.ca
Wed Dec 21 23:29:47 EST 2005

On Thursday 22 December 2005 04:34, Dave Robillard wrote:

> > >right. "command line", the way we see it now, is a primitive way
> > > to put a computer to work.
>
> Anyone who says "command line is better" is an idiot, just like
> anyone who says "GUI is better" is an idiot.

what you must have meant is obviously true, with some formal correction:

«whenever we say "command line is better, we are idiots, just like
whenever we say "gui is better" we are idiots.»

this rephrase is clearly the only one valid, as it avoids labeling /
categorization of people. (and yes, we are very much different from one
moment to the other.)

> Some things a command line is capable of doing isn't even feasibly
> possible in a GUI (and I personally do many, many such things a day,
> as I'm sure many others 'round here do).
>
> Some things that's downright painful and obtuse in a command line can
> be intuitive, quick, and simple in a GUI.
>
> Isn't this painfully obvious?

(maybe not painfully, but) yes, it is obvious. only a snob might find it
desirable to try to place icons on the desktop from the command line
(instead of using drag-n-drop) :)