[OT] taiko - was: [linux-audio-user] how 'bout more music

Eric Dantan Rzewnicki rzewnickie at rfa.org
Mon Jan 3 15:51:58 EST 2005

On Thu, Dec 30, 2004 at 11:12:39PM -0800, bernie arai wrote:
> after a few months of lurking on this list i finally feel like i have
> something to contribute, albeit horribly off topic.  the name of the
> japanese taiko drumming group is Kodo, not goto (although i like the C
> joke).  they do in fact come from sado island, famous as a hideout for
> artists, exiles and recluses, where the group all live in a house
> together and train new members.  all the while, they have been playing
> one continuous world tour for about 12 years now called the "one earth
> tour" (coming back to my town next month).  they were not formed with
> any (organized) religious connections, but were actually an offshoot of
> another taiko group called ondekoza.
> before i spent all my time getting a linux audio workstation to work, i
> used to perform in a taiko group here in vancouver called the uzume
> taiko ensemble, which is where i learned about kodo and their kin.  it's
> a real workout...

No doubt. I once had the pleasure of attending an Ondekoza performance.
As I understand it part of the performers' daily regimen is running the
equivalent of a marathon. I was amazed beyond words at the intense
physicality of their drumming. Truly one of the greatest shows I've
experienced.

-Eric Rz.