[linux-audio-user] SB Live 24bit

tommy illth at gmx.de
Mon Jan 3 19:01:50 EST 2005

Lee Revell schrieb:

>On Fri, 2004-12-31 at 19:39 +0100, tommy wrote:
>

>>unfortunatly, this card costs more than twice the money of the live 24bit :(
>>

>Well, after all that is the whole motivation for putting everything in
>software, less silicon = lower prices = more profit.  It kind of makes
>sense, as the emu10k1 was originally designed to support HDRs and games
>in the Pentium I + Windows 95 era, where computers just weren't fast
>enough to do all that in software.  But Linux users know how we feel
>about Winhardware.

So, This day i managed to give my sb live 24bit back and
get an audigy 2 ZS.

however, there seems to be some problems with 5.1 audio output.
when using mplayer with -channels 4 i get desired audio autput thru ALL 5
speakers of my card ???, and, for maximum confusing, when using -channels 6
i also get output thru all speakers, BUT some channels are missing ?!?
namely the channels, on which spoken text is outputted (in kill bill).
so i can hear
surround-music, but i CAN't hear the people talk ...
i think taht has something todo with the card being a 7.1 card and upmixing
the stuff to 7.1 ?

i've tried virtually all settings possible in alsamixer for some hours,
and also
googled a lot, but i cant find anything ;(

Please Help me ;)

Thank you all in Advance

Tommy