[linux-audio-user] Vst with Latest Wine and DSSI-VST

Chris Cannam cannam at all-day-breakfast.com
Tue Jan 4 12:23:03 EST 2005

On Tuesday 04 Jan 2005 16:40, Mark Knecht wrote:
> Not a problem using VSTs with Rosegarden. Just remember that they wil
> normally run *outside* of RG and you'll be hooking them up manually.

That's true if you run VSTs in jack_fst, vstserver, or via dssi-vst in
jack-dssi-host.  But dssi-vst also allows you to use VSTs directly as
plugins in Rosegarden -- VST effects show up exactly like LADSPA
effects, VST instruments show up as synth plugin instruments.

When I've talked about dssi-vst on this and other lists in the past,
I've mentioned that it had some limitations that restricted its use for
VST plugins with complex GUIs, because of the way it mapped the VST
structure (plugin containing its own GUI) onto the DSSI one (plugin and
GUI separate).  Those limitations were removed in dssi-vst 0.3 -- now
dssi-vst is as complete a host as jack_fst or vstserver (I believe).

Chris