[linux-audio-user] Disabling Playthrough

Darren Gibbs tsquank at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 4 14:15:45 EST 2005

Well my problem is that playthrough has been enabled, and I don't want
it to be (or I should say, I want to have control over it).  I can't
figure out where to turn this off/on.  All of the obvious system
control panels don't seem to have a setting for this.  Using command
line tools for ALSA, I don't see anything either.  I wouldn't expect it
to be turned on by default.  I have been able to record audio in
audacity, so samples are being passed up to the application.  Now I
have a weird situation where audacity says that the audio i/o system is
unavailable.  Playthrough is working... speaker-test works.  Various
audio players are able to play CD audio and open and play sounds files.

Linux audio is a bit byzantine compared to what I'm used to... there
appear to be several interacting layers, and control panels in various
places.  If anyone has suggestions or pointers to a good
linux-audio-howto or getting started that explains all of this, I'd
appreciate it.

thanks,

darren