[linux-audio-user] Common linux audio layer

Hannu Savolainen hannu at opensound.com
Thu Jan 6 04:42:44 EST 2005

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005, Christoph Eckert wrote:

> So my question is: Is there work in progress somewhere out
> there which will solve this by implementing a common unix
> audio layer? Or, will be jack be the layer that will soon be
> included into the boot process by all distributors?
This kind of solution has been there for more than 10 years and it's
called Open Sound System (OSS). OSS has kernel level mixing features that
permits multiple applications to use the same device at the same time (no
need to use esd or any other user land layers). And (in addition to Linux)
OSS is available for all Unix versions (Solaris, BSD, HP-UX and all
others). It's price is $0,00 for home and non profit users.

Best regards,

Hannu
-----
Hannu Savolainen (hannu at opensound.com)
http://www.opensound.com (Open Sound System (OSS))
http://www.compusonic.fi (Finnish OSS pages)
OH2GLH QTH: Karkkila, Finland LOC: KP20CM