[linux-audio-user] Common linux audio layer

Christoph Eckert mchristoph.eckert at t-online.de
Fri Jan 7 07:45:47 EST 2005

Hi,

> This kind of solution has been there for more than 10 years
> and it's called Open Sound System (OSS). OSS has kernel
> level mixing features that permits multiple applications to
> use the same device at the same time (no need to use esd or
> any other user land layers). And (in addition to Linux) OSS
> is available for all Unix versions (Solaris, BSD, HP-UX and
> all others). It's price is $0,00 for home and non profit
> users.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Otherwise, OSS misses some features so ALSA was developed.

But at least I expect that such an audio layer should be able
in conjunction with OSS and ALSA as well. Meanwhile, many
people use ALSA instead of OSS for some reason.

OSS is really a great thing, but meanwhile ALSA offers some
more possibilities.

So I really think that we need an audio layer based on OSS or
ALSA.

 Best regards

    ce