[linux-audio-user] Common linux audio layer

tommy illth at gmx.de
Thu Jan 6 09:23:34 EST 2005

Dubphil schrieb:

>Hi Christopher,
>
>How could you imagine a "Multi user" audio layer integrated into the OS ?
>audio is not like any other server tasks, you usually have to access the
>hardware directly by plug in your mic, your midi gear etc... and you
>usually have to be near the computer in order to listen to the music you
>are playing... etc so what is really the need to give Linux an audio
>Multiuser OS ? Imagine 2 or more users using the same computer to make
>music, listen to their video etc and using the ability from Linux to mix
>all the stuff, it would be a genious inaudible "cacophony" at the sound
>card output :)
>
>Hope I'm wrong and I don't understand the mean of this thread :)

well ... eg i start one app (TeamSpeak) as user `tom` on my machine
and i want to start another app (ut2004) with nice -10 as root ....

i did that back the time when i had a suckage cpu. fortunately,
cpus with enough horsepower for ut2004 have become cheap,
so now i start all the shit as user `tom`

but there are numerous other reasens to do so.

but even if i do so, i run easily into troubles, espesially
if i'm a linux noob:

a) TeamSpeak is a closed source app that uses OSS interface.
b) at least i can't get TeamSpeak to work with aoss. (tho it works with
artsdsp)
c) TeamSpeak requires audio in AND output

d) ut2004 by default uses OSS too, but you can make it use alsa by
recompiling an open source library

so what to do if u have a cheap onboard sound (nForce board) that has no
hardware mixing capabilities?

looks like the following:
1) try to get TS work with aoss.
2) give up. search the internet. try artsdsp.
3) download openal-source via cvs
4) download a patch for openal to use it with ut2004
5) recompile openal with alsa support (need to install libasound2-dev
packags before ...)
6) copy the library to ut2004 directory
7) make an .asoundrc file that allows dmixing for artsd and ut2004, and
audio input for artsd
8) modify TS startup script so that it will start artsd if not already
running, and LD_PRELAOD artsdsp libraries.
optional:
9) feel pisssed of about all (arts(dsp) adds some noticable lag to
audio!) that and get an audigy2

i think of myself that i'm an somewhat experienced linux user,
but espesially step 7 took my some time ....

-tom