[linux-audio-user] Common linux audio layer

Lee Revell rlrevell at joe-job.com
Thu Jan 6 11:35:58 EST 2005

On Thu, 2005-01-06 at 15:23 +0100, tommy wrote:
> so what to do if u have a cheap onboard sound (nForce board) that has no
> hardware mixing capabilities?
>
> looks like the following:
> 1) try to get TS work with aoss.
> 2) give up. search the internet. try artsdsp.
> 3) download openal-source via cvs
> 4) download a patch for openal to use it with ut2004
> 5) recompile openal with alsa support (need to install libasound2-dev
> packags before ...)
> 6) copy the library to ut2004 directory
> 7) make an .asoundrc file that allows dmixing for artsd and ut2004, and
> audio input for artsd
> 8) modify TS startup script so that it will start artsd if not already
> running, and LD_PRELAOD artsdsp libraries.
> optional:
> 9) feel pisssed of about all (arts(dsp) adds some noticable lag to
> audio!) that and get an audigy2

Or:

1) get a real sound card - this is what many Windows users in your
situation do

Or:

1) complain to the authors of TeamSpeak and UT2004 that they should not
be using a deprecated API, they should use the ALSA API.

Or:

1) get nvidia to release some docs on the nforce2.  Support for this is
completely reverse engineered, they refuse to release ANY docs.  For all
we know this card does do hardware mixing, but we can't support it for
lack of docs.

Lee