[linux-audio-user] Common linux audio layer

tommy illth at gmx.de
Thu Jan 6 14:48:51 EST 2005

Lee Revell schrieb:

>On Thu, 2005-01-06 at 15:23 +0100, tommy wrote:
>

>>so what to do if u have a cheap onboard sound (nForce board) that has no
>>hardware mixing capabilities?
>>
>>looks like the following:
>>1) try to get TS work with aoss.
>>2) give up. search the internet. try artsdsp.
>>3) download openal-source via cvs
>>4) download a patch for openal to use it with ut2004
>>5) recompile openal with alsa support (need to install libasound2-dev
>>packags before ...)
>>6) copy the library to ut2004 directory
>>7) make an .asoundrc file that allows dmixing for artsd and ut2004, and
>>audio input for artsd
>>8) modify TS startup script so that it will start artsd if not already
>>running, and LD_PRELAOD artsdsp libraries.
>>optional:
>>9) feel pisssed of about all (arts(dsp) adds some noticable lag to
>>audio!) that and get an audigy2
>>

>Or:
>
>1) get a real sound card - this is what many Windows users in your
>situation do

Windows users don't come to this situation. the install windows,
install their soundcard drivers, install ts, install ut2004, and thats it-
if a windows user gets a "real" soundcard, then due to other reasons,
eg. the onboard sound sucks, or he wants to get some extra fps.

btw: see step 9)

>Or:
>
>1) complain to the authors of TeamSpeak and UT2004 that they should not
>be using a deprecated API, they should use the ALSA API
>

>Or:
>
>1) get nvidia to release some docs on the nforce2.  Support for this is
>completely reverse engineered, they refuse to release ANY docs.  For all
>we know this card does do hardware mixing, but we can't support it for
>lack of docs.

yes, hehe.

it would be good if they (TeamSpeak !) would switch to alsa-
and in fact they are pretending taht they work on TS3 with
alsa support, but until then, no chance. And i guess this will
still take some time.

a word on the nForce chipset:

1) the original nForce has an DSP built in
2) the nForce 2 with MCP-T southbridge has DSP built in, the MCP doesn't
3) AFAIK, nForce 3 and nForce 4 also lack the DSP

but thats not the point. i bought that audigy2, and its a good soundcard,
apart from a few issues that will be fixed sooner or later.

but what i wanted to say was the following:
it's not easy to use for someone thats new to linux-
in fact, once i succeeded to convince someone to give linux a try-
but he could not get this to work with just 2 mouseclicks. So he
switched back to windows :(

Thats the point ... if linux should become a desktop alternative,
then we definitely need such an `Common linux audio layer`.

but: less linux gamers, less games ported to linux :'(
there is the ut series, and all stuff from id. but no halflife 2

btw. this was meant as an reply to Dubphil.

-tom