[linux-audio-user] Tracktion & Wine

Rui Nuno Capela rncbc at rncbc.org
Thu Jan 6 12:22:41 EST 2005

> Hi Ryan:
>
>   I also tried it this morning, got as far as a failure installing the
> sound device. :(
>
>   Mackie reportedly announced that there would be a Linux version
> eventually.

I don't know if I'm telling some gross mistake, but Tracktion has been the
work of one man, Jules o'something. AFAHCT Tracktion is based on his own
cross-platform C++ framework, named JUCE
(http://www.rawmaterialsoftware.com/juce/). Yes cross-platform only
between win32 and macosx, atm.

However, quoted from the JUCE's to-do-list
(http://www.rawmaterialsoftware.com/juce/todo.html):
- get the Linux port up and running..

So, given that JUCE is being released under the GPL, and if some of the
LADs are willing to help, things could just happen sooner than later ;) I
mean, having a Linux native Trackion port (hopefully with ALSA and JACK
support).

Tracktion is closed-source however, with commercial rights owned by
Mackie. Or so I think. I guess the linux port will be also closed-source.
But I would rather buy it, instead of running it under the nasty effects
of wine ;)

OK. My idea is first probing you LAUs/LADs, my self included, if it makes
any sense on lobbying for the Trackion linux port. Second, our X/ALSA/JACK
expertise (!) could be offered towards a early JUCE port and help
Jules|Mackie in delivering a linux beta product in no time.

Anyone interested?
--
rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela
rncbc at rncbc.org