[linux-audio-user] Tracktion & Wine

Ryan Gallagher ruinaudio at comcast.net
Thu Jan 6 13:54:14 EST 2005

On Thu, 2005-01-06 at 17:22 +0000, Rui Nuno Capela wrote:
> I don't know if I'm telling some gross mistake, but Tracktion has been the
> work of one man, Jules o'something. AFAHCT Tracktion is based on his own
> cross-platform C++ framework, named JUCE

> So, given that JUCE is being released under the GPL, and if some of the
> LADs are willing to help, things could just happen sooner than later ;) I
> mean, having a Linux native Trackion port (hopefully with ALSA and JACK
> support).
>
> Tracktion is closed-source however, with commercial rights owned by
> Mackie.

Yes, AFAIK Tracktion is a Mackie product and only free for a limited
time (however the fact that it's been distributed for free seems to
suggest a free binary for linux would not be out of the question).

> OK. My idea is first probing you LAUs/LADs, my self included, if it makes
> any sense on lobbying for the Trackion linux port.

I'm of the opinion that choice is good, therefore having another quality
(and widely used/supported) DAW would be great for linux.

Also, once JUICE is ported, that will provide another great resource for
future linux audio development.

Finally, the fact that this project is affiliated with Mackie, a HUGE
name in the "industry" could work greatly to the benefit if linux/audio.
I mean if we could get a linux port of Traction on mackie ftp servers?
Well, people would take notice.

>  Second, our X/ALSA/JACK
> expertise (!) could be offered towards a early JUCE port and help
> Jules|Mackie in delivering a linux beta product in no time.
>
> Anyone interested?

I'm interested (though code/coding skill deficient).

-ry
--
Ryan Gallagher <ruinaudio at comcast.net>