[linux-audio-user] spectral correction

Kjetil Svalastog Matheussen k.s.matheussen at notam02.no
Thu Jan 6 12:53:24 EST 2005

Dave Phillips:

>>The sources are to different. Ceres3 only supports mono-files and is
>>very non-thread-safe.
>>
>Ceres3 will load L, R, or L+R stereo files.

The problem is that ceres3 only shows/transforms one channel.
ceres1 can handle up to 8 channels simultaniously. Thats a quite huge
internal difference.

> I can start sending you comments
>regarding the major differences between Ceres and Ceres3 if you like.

That would be great. I'm not so sure how much time I have to spend on
Ceres right now. But such a list would at laset be nice to put into the
documentation.

>>Øyvind Hammer has been working on Ceres in all years, the latest version
>>(0.15) was released in 2001 if I remember correctly, before I took over.
>>Even then, it compaired fairly to ceres3. So he never
>>stopped the development of ceres, still other people released both
>>ceres2, ceres2w and ceres3. I don't know why, perhaps they had good
>reasons.
>>
>I had many email exchanges with Dr Hammer during that period. The other
>versions had his blessings, he was I think too busy to add things like
>WAV file support and stereo file support, and many bugs were not being
>addressed. IIRC he was doing more work in paleontology. We occasionally

Problem is that they shouldn't have been named ceres2/3, but instead
something like ceres-newversion. Even here at notam, I sometimes see
people use ceres3. I ask them why, and they say its because its the latest
version.

>Btw, thank you for all your excellent work in Linux audio software. I
>don't know if many people realize how much you've contributed, but I do,
>so thank you very much. :)

Thank you very much. Same to you. :)