[linux-audio-user] Common linux audio layer

Christoph Eckert mchristoph.eckert at t-online.de
Fri Jan 7 08:37:53 EST 2005

> I think the term "multi tasking" would have applied better
> here.

Well, I at first thought multi tasking would be enough, but it
isn't as I wrote before. I often use up to three X sessions
(mine, me as a different user with english settings for
software testing and making the videos, my girl friend
surfing the web) but I can only have one of the three users
playing sound :( .

Furthermore a cron shell script is not able to play a beep as
soon as a user tries to log in from a unknown machine. Why
shouldn't this be possible even if we both do not like it?

> Ther problem described seems to be about different
> applications having their sound output mixed and sent to
> the audio device without the need for special rigging.

Ignoring the multi user issue, this would at least be a first
great step! Even for programmers of audio applications so
they do not have to implement five different sound systems.
When testing different apps, I noticed that only a few of
them have real support for all major exisiting audio APIs
(ALSA, OSS, arts, esound, jack, ...).

> The desirability of this is debatable. I think it was on
> this list that I read about a music record that hit the
> streets with a Windows "you have mail" beep in the middle
> of the music :-)

I hate this example, but in fact, this illustrates what I
mean. And - I dislike playing my MUA a sound - but if a user
likes it, why shouldn't it be possible to have MuSE playing
Zyn while an incoming mail or instant message can play a
sound? I for myself dislike it, but why shouldn't it be
possible if someone likes it?

I do not like to domineer over other users.

 Best regards

    ce