[linux-audio-user] Common linux audio layer

tommy illth at gmx.de
Fri Jan 7 09:20:44 EST 2005

Christoph Eckert schrieb:

>To be honest, they shouldn't support ALSA, they should better
>support the non existing common unix audio layer.

But as its non-existing, its the best they can do ;)

>>but u still need to struggle around with alsa
>>config, etc.
>>

>Yep. And normal users are not able to do so.
>

>>the problem is that it doesn't work out of the box
>>like on WinD0w$. well - don't get me wrong, i actually
>>like the fact that linux is highly configurable, and
>>i personally have no problem to write my .asoundrc,
>>but if linux should have success on the desktop, thats
>>definitely a must-have.
>>

>Yeah, that's my idea. I for mysels can deal with the current
>status, but I have the common user in mind.
>
>And in fact, if we had a common audio layer, this doesn't
>steal you the possibility to tweak every system aspect
>manually.

Yes. BTW: have a look here:
http://www.portaudio.com/docs/proposals/status.html
this should support jack, alsa, oss, so its definitely a good thing,
and also non linux systems (sgi, mac, windows).

I unfortunately do not have the time to look on the api specs and
sample implementations, but i'm sure, if u create such an high portable
api, you'll sacrifice some of teh native apis advanced features.

-tommy