[linux-audio-user] Common linux audio layer

Christoph Eckert mchristoph.eckert at t-online.de
Fri Jan 7 11:53:31 EST 2005

> Yes. BTW: have a look here:
> http://www.portaudio.com/docs/proposals/status.html
> this should support jack, alsa, oss, so its definitely a
> good thing, and also non linux systems (sgi, mac, windows).
>
> I unfortunately do not have the time to look on the api
> specs and sample implementations, but i'm sure, if u create
> such an high portable api, you'll sacrifice some of teh
> native apis advanced features.

I'm too unexperienced to read the API.

I know that audacity uses portaudio to make it a cross
platform application. So, it's certainly a good idea, but
unfortunately, portaudio is even not a soundserver but an
audio abstraction layer.

I'm not looking for a cross platform layer but at first at a
common unix audio server.

As soon as we have one, then it might be a good idea to move
portaudio as a further layer between audio applications and
the new layer to make them possibly compile cross platform.

 Gruß & regards

    ce