[linux-audio-user] Common linux audio layer

Christoph Eckert mchristoph.eckert at t-online.de
Fri Jan 7 12:25:53 EST 2005

> Well, I'm using KDE and plan on sticking with it, so this
> is of interest to me and I expect others getting started on
> linux/audio.

Have fun: you'll know confusing things :) .

> Aren't Gnome and KDE working to be "compatible" ie apps in
> one run in the other?

Yeah, freedesktop.org is somehow a common base both try to
use.

Worse: Because there's no common audio layer in linux, I guess
that Gnome and KDE will start using a common soundserver, but
then again it's again a KDE/Gnome only solution.

I'd really be glad if we manage to define a common layer for
*all* programs.

> One of my problems is I'm learning audio and linux at the
> same time; I'm an old-IBMmainframe-Win3.1 APL user / sax
> player.  I'm having fun but not attempting Jack & all yet.

What do you plan when saying 'I'm learning audio'? If you want
to use your box for making music, you should learn how to use
jack. Watch my videos to get a basic overview.

 Best regards

    ce