[linux-audio-user] Lightweight Jack Client & LADSPA host

Chris Cannam cannam at all-day-breakfast.com
Mon Jan 10 04:56:42 EST 2005

On Sunday 09 Jan 2005 19:43, Steve Harris wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 09, 2005 at 06:21:13 +0000, Iain Young wrote:
> > I was thinking about combining the functionality of the simple jack
> > client (from the example_clients), and apply_plugin (from the
> > LADSPA SDK), but before I do so, I was wondering if anyone knew of
> > such a beast.
> > [...]
>
> The example jack host in the DSSI distribution probably does most of
> this allready, if not it would be easy to modify it so that it does.

Yeah, definitely.

Making jack-dssi-host work for LADSPA plugins as well would involve
making it: (a) use the LADSPA path as well as the DSSI path; (b)
recognise that a .so is a LADSPA one and call the right lookup
function; and (c) create a dummy DSSI descriptor wrapper for a LADSPA
plugin.  It's probably half an hour's work or so for someone who knows
the code, a couple of hours to get it right for someone who doesn't.

Note that jack-dssi-host will already do the right thing for DSSI
effects plugins, so no additional logic to make it handle effects as
well as synths will be necessary.

(Anyone thinking of working on this would be advised to start from the
CVS version of the host, which I think has some fixes specifically for
hosting effects that may not have been in the last release.  We should
do another release soon I guess.)

> You would need to add value setting on the command line

That's true.  Or, I had considered whether we should make the host
accept commands on stdin (structured like the OSC message calls).

Chris