[linux-audio-user] Lightweight Jack Client & LADSPA host

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sun Jan 9 14:43:50 EST 2005

On Sun, Jan 09, 2005 at 06:21:13 +0000, Iain Young wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I was thinking about combining the functionality of the simple jack client
> (from the example_clients), and apply_plugin (from the LADSPA SDK), but
> before I do so, I was wondering if anyone knew of such a beast.
>
> I'm looking for something as lightweight as possible, thats command line
> driven with a minimal amount of user interface. I'm aware of ecasound,
> but that was giving me trouble after bringing 3 or 4 ecasound sessions
> up.
>
> (In fairness, I think it was also somewhat realtime/kernel related, rather
> than purely an ecasound issue)
>
> Before I go ahead, and attempt to hack the two together (and try and fix
> the memory leak issues documented in apply_plugin), has anyone already
> done this, or know of such a beast ?

The example jack host in the DSSI distribution probably does most of this
allready, if not it would be easy to modify it so that it does. You would
need to add value setting on the command line, the the hard stuff (RT
safe-ness and so on) is done. The advantage is that it would work for
DSSI plugins too.

Taking the apply_plugin code and making it realtime safe wouldn't be
impossible, but it wouldn't be trivial either.

FWIW I would like such a tool too. I generally use jack-rack for this kind
of thing, but sometimes you want something thats command line only.

- Steve