[linux-audio-user] Rosegarden & ALSA Sequencer IO Ports

Chris Cannam cannam at all-day-breakfast.com
Thu Jan 13 03:45:14 EST 2005

On Wednesday 12 Jan 2005 23:07, Reuben Martin wrote:
> 1) why is there no out port shown for Rosegarden

Rosegarden doesn't accept port connection changes from external agents
like qjackctl, and so it tries to avoid the problem by not publishing
its port details.  This applies only for output ports -- you can use
qjackctl to manage inputs to Rosegarden, should you wish.

This situation may change at some point after 1.0, but as of now, the
single way to manage MIDI outputs from Rosegarden is using Rosegarden's
own device/connection mechanism (set up through the Manage MIDI Devices
dialog, and accessed through the right-button menu on the track
labels).

> 2) is Rosegarden using some means other than the ALSA Seq interface
> to connect to timidity?

No, it does use the ALSA sequencer interface.

> 3) since it is apparently connected somehow, why do I only get
> playback from timidity when playing something though the Rosegarden
> in port, while not getting any output when playing from Rosegarden
> itself?

Based on that much information, I can't tell you.  It might be worth
asking on the rosegarden-user list, with information about the version
of Rosegarden, how you have set up the device for your track, etc.

Chris