[linux-audio-user] Suse Live cd and some thoughts

Ketil Thorgersen linuxuadio at rytmisk.net
Thu Jan 13 16:12:24 EST 2005

Hi group.

I have been having a longish break from the audio-part of computing
because of both professional and private reasons, but I'm back in the
field sort of. The Linux -DAW scene really has gone through a tremendous
development! Congrats everyone!

Now enough about that:
Earlier on I have "always" used Mandrake (lst years at least) and
because of THAC this was a piece of cake - even though it was heavily
digested at times. When I bought a laptop this autumn I never managed to
get Mandrake to recognize neither the wireless network nor the acpi
functions so I actually ran windows xp along with mandrake for a while -
mostly doing office stuff. Then the suse live audio cd came along and I
decided to give it a try, and it recognized every piece of hardware I
had. I became so happy that I copied a suse 9.2 distribution to see if
this would provide the solution to my needs. And it sort of does... It
recognizes my hardware, but what happened to the tight integration of
the sound programs and what about realtime kernels? I cannot understand
why Suse/Novell hs put any effort into creating that live-cd if it
represents nothing they actually sell? And how come they do not provide
precompiled kernels for anything than servers if they have any intention
of attracting new user groups? I really would have loved to have the
simple and good sound app support that the mandrake community provides
combined with the exellent hardware recognition Suse provides. But I
guess that's too much to ask? Or does someone have a good tip?

Best regards
Ketil Thorgersen