[linux-audio-user] Suse Live cd and some thoughts

Robert Persson ireneshusband at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jan 14 19:19:40 EST 2005

I would steer clear of SuSE for audio work.  You end up having to use too many
non-SuSE packages (e.g. Thac's) or third party repositories such as Packman's
and things start to get messy fairly quickly.

I am currently using SuSE 9.2 (recently upgraded from 9.1) but I am finding it
so flaky that I am building myself a Gentoo system and plan to switch to
that.  The only reason I haven't done so already is trouble writing a
well-behaved xorg.conf, and if I can't get that sorted out I will go for a
Debian-based distribution because with my current SuSE setup I can't even
edit the KMenu any more, tell the Noatun playlist to stop looping, or run
Mplayer, let alone actually do some demanding multimedia work.

SuSE also has other problems.  For instance 9.1 shipped with a kernel that was
so heavily patched that the XFS driver didn't work, and this wasn't fixed
with any of the updates for that release. I have also found that source
packages fail to build more often than they succeed with SuSE.  This is very
important at the moment because you sometimes do have to turn to CVS versions
to get audio functioning properly.

Robert
--
Robert Persson