[linux-audio-user] [OT] Steely Dan

Rick Taylor ricktaylor at speakeasy.net
Tue Jan 18 17:08:17 EST 2005

On Mon, 2005-01-17 at 11:12 +0000, tim hall wrote:
> Last Sunday 16 January 2005 16:10, Rick Taylor was like:
> > On Thu, 2005-01-13 at 06:45 -0500, Joe Hartley wrote:

> > > I don't think that was Skunk, Randy California was Spirit's guitar whiz.
> > > 12 Dreams still holds up very well!!
> >
> > The old stuff {Fresh Garbage, Mechanical World, Dark Eyed Woman, etc} is
> > great. I still think Mr Skin has one of the most incredible basslines of
> > all time in it. {In fact, now I have to find the damned cd...}
> >
> > JoJo Gunne?
>
> Hmm, Spirit fall into the same category as Todd Rundgren for me. In that I've
> never owned any of their albums, but every time I hear them I go 'Wow!, who's
> this?'. Funny that.

Yeah. I bought everything that Todd put out. Including Runt and his
stuff with the Nice. The last of his albums I bought was the first
Utopia thing. That's about the time I thought he lost his edge. Some of
his stuff on Something/Anything, Wizard, etc was plain incredible.

As poppy as his old stuff was it seemed to me like he stopped taking his
work seriously about the time of Utopia.

I bought about everything that the members of Spirit did after they
split the first time and everything they did after the reunion...
Randy's solo stuff was pretty good... the World Eat World Dog stuff
seemed like they were just reworking Natures Way to me. I didn't buy any
of Ferguson's solo stuff at all... he seemed to meander off into that
soul-less late late '7os Christopher Cross/I like Pina Coladas world.

:} Maybe he should have stuck with margaritas like Jimmy Buffet.

--
http://www.RTaylor-Design.Com