[linux-audio-user] ams PCM input?

Dave Robillard drobilla at connect.carleton.ca
Wed Jan 19 04:20:45 EST 2005

On Tue, 2005-18-01 at 20:41 -0500, Paul Coccoli wrote:
> How can I get the line in from my soundcard routed into ams?  I tried
> adding a PCM IN module and a PCM OUT module, then connecting them
> together.  I've connected the ams out to alsa_pcm playpack 1 and 2,
> and alsa_pcm captures 1 and 2 are connected to the ams ins (I did all
> that with qjackctl).

Are your alsa capture ports working?  Narrow the problem down, it
probably has nothing to do with AMS at all.

Connect your capture ports to meterbridge and see what's going on.  If
you don't have meterbridge, get it. :)

Chances are you've got some mixer settings (ie in alsamixer) that aren't
set right if you're not getting any audio into Jack.

> I know jack and everything else are working because I can load the
> example_basic.ams patch, plug in my USB contoller, connect them in
> qjackctl and hear the output.

I'm thinking mixer settings for sure then.  I've never had the AMS
pcm-in module not work, and I used to use it for effects processing all
the time.

> What I want to do now is send the signal from my bass guitar into ams,
> then back out (i.e. use it as an effect processor).
>
> Also, is there a module that will convert an audio signal to CV?  I
> know MCV converts MIDI to CV.

There is a LADSPA control->audio interpolator, but I havn't seen a
plugin that does the other way around (it is a pretty nasty thing to do,
conceptually).  It would be nice to have one around sometimes though.

-DR-